Tuesday, April 26, 2011

AA youtubers

While we were discussing about Asian Americans on Youtube and whether they should be entitled to certain responsibilities in representing the Asian Americans in general, I felt very conflicted in my views. On one side, I feel that they should be able to create videos however they feel like Caucasian people can without the burden of being a good representative of a certain group. For example, a popular youtuber, sxephil, is a Caucasian man who is widely viewed on Youtube and has a segment on his videos called "WTF White People" where he tells weird stories he comes across that involve white people. This segment has received many views and positive reviews for its humorous and creative aspect. However, whenever I try imagining an Asian American trying to do the same thing, I can only think of the criticism and 'thumbs down' for it. I believe that too much pressure is placed upon Asian Americans to use youtube as an outlet to portray a positive image of Asian Americans. At the same time, I understand how being of a minority group, we should all feel compelled to present an image that goes beyond the stereotypical asian and start a culture where race is just a characteristic of a person rather than a defining factor. Nevertheless, through writing this article I guess I lean more toward not expecting everyone to be a good representative for their respective racial group and hope for people to just simply accept peoples' videos for what it is because I never look at videos of Asian American youtubers and expect it to be a representative of Asian Americans. Overall, youtube has been a great outlet for Asian Americans to enter media culture unlike they've been able to do before, especially with nigahiga (an Asian American) being the number one most subscribed youtube channel, and that in itself should be a commendable feat.

No comments:

Post a Comment