Thursday, March 31, 2011

Language and Education

What struck me the most through the readings and the videos we have touched upon in class was the importance of language. In the video First Person Plural Deann could not communicate with her own mother, and it was seen in Eating Welfare that many mothers had to bring their children because they could not speak English. However, those who were able to speak the language were given somewhat of a privilege as Linda Vo states, "Overall, the educational and class backgrounds and their linguistic and cultural skills (of the Vietnamese) have given them privileges in the States" (238). I'm bringing this issue up right now because I recently read a news article about schools in New York being successful at reducing racial gaps in educational performance. They note that 40 % of black students and 46% of Hispanic students met state standards in math, compared with 75 % of white students and 82% of Asian students. I know this slightly goes off tangents with the Asian American issue, but it's heartwarming to know that someone is actually trying to make a difference for the minority.

Now that I think about it, I think it was especially hard for Asian American women to learn English post-migration because they still had to fulfill the expectations as a wife (or a woman in general). They could have easily picked up a little of the foreign language through socializing with people, like repetition, or listening to conversations. However, the roles of women in society (regardless of the country) were usually those of reproductive labor--raising kids, house chores, cooking, etc. I guess we shouldn't or cannot blame them because most of them were simply trying to live up to the expectations of what a good wife/woman should be doing.

3 comments:

  1. Reading this blog, it reminded me of my own mom and her struggle to learn English. All the time, my parents would have me read documents and translate it for them. I would also respond with a rant of complaints and annoyed facial expressions. My mom would always just apologize and say that she has no other choice because she just doesn't understand. Even after living in the United States for 21 years, her English hasn't improved much from when she first moved here, which I don't blame at all. Most of her time here was spent whether at the house doing housework or at church or luncheons with other Korean mothers experiencing the same scenarios. She never had the opportunity to learn English properly as her time was consumed taking care of her husband and children or socializing in hope to gaining more information and resources for her children's betterment whether it be through which tutor is the best or which community service/intern we should do. There's not much of a focus on this except to reflect on my personal experience where I agree with Misa that women should not be criticized or looked down upon because of their lack of English ability. They are already expected to fulfill such great expectations that disable them from attaining other attributes that others who don't understand why they just can't integrate into American culture as well as they want them to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be said that the first semester here, English is always troubled me the most. As I'm far from home, I deeply aware of the power of language. Facing problems, we cannot communicate without language. Facing competition, no way to display. Even if further work in peacetime, there is no good language to give expression. Nothing works.

    Thank Scripps, my English has made great progress. But the accent is very bothered me. I can imagine immigrations, who have no way to participate in university education or basic education, will face the dilemma. The inside as shown in the video: the welfare of the poor more difficult to solve because of language problems. Even worse, to some extent the expense of their children as translators, children are away from school. This result in a vicious cycle of ethnic inequality.

    ReplyDelete