Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hmong Women in the US

I'm having a little trouble formulating thoughts for my post today, so I thought I would just focus on a small portion of the Hmong Women in the US (AAW) article that we read.

"Not knowing that they can instruct the welfare office otherwise, Hmong women let the welfare office issue the check in their names. Hmong men resent this because of the appearance that they are not the breadwinners and because their wives now have control of the finances, power women did not have in Laos" (151).

Now that I'm typing it up again, it doesn't seem as glaring, but on my first read through the article this portion really jumped out at me - because I remember being so irked by it that I remembered it even after I had finished the rest of the sections. I think it was mostly the way this short section was written more than the actual content, but I felt that there was almost the feeling that the women should be changing the names on the checks because that was a solution to one of the problems. I, however, disagree, because of course there are much deeper rooted problems in the male/female power relationship in these communities than just whose name is on the welfare checks. In addition, that men resent that they "appear" to not be the breadwinners doesn't seem to be what's causing the resentment - I think it's a combination of them not being the breadwinners, because the wife brings in the welfare checks, and also perhaps some shame that the family needs the welfare and that the women receive it for the family when the man is most likely working as well.

I feel like I'm just being nitpicky about the language used in the article, but it's something that I think shows the attitude of the author to the readers, and in this case, I think I found myself disagreeing with their assessment of the situation shown here. Am I over-analyzing such a short part of this article? Do other people find that when they read pieces they find the style of writing affecting their ability too view the work objectively?

No comments:

Post a Comment